This article covers how to install Zimbra mail server on CentOS & RHEL systems. Zimbra offers two editions, the commercially supported edition called 'Network Edition' & a free/open-source version called 'Open Source Edition'.
Zimbra Collaboration Suite (ZCS) is a collaborative software suite that includes a mail & chat server with a web client.
Main components of Zimbra Mail and Collaboration Server are:
1. Zimbra Core: These are basic libraries, utilities, monitoring tools, and basic configuration files.
2. Zimbra LDAP: This has the OpenLDAP LDAP directory server that provides authentication and configs store for users and other zimbra components.
3. Zimbra MTA (mail routing server): Has Postfix mail transfer agent (MTA) that receives email via SMTP and routes each message to the appropriate Zimbra mailbox server using Local Mail Transfer Protocol (LMTP). It also includes the anti-virus and anti-spam components.
4. Zimbra Store (Zimbra server): The mailbox server includes Data store, Message store and Index store for the mailboxes on the server. When a mail arrives, the Zimbra server schedules a thread to have the message indexed in the index store.
5. Zimbra-SNMP: This is an optional component for for monitoring and it runs on every server (Zimbra server, Zimbra LDAP, Zimbra MTA). Swatch is used to watch the syslog output to generate SNMP traps.
6. Zimbra Logger: This is an optional component for the mailbox server. It installs tools for syslog aggregation, reporting, and message tracing. This is required for the message trace feature.
To Edit your hosts file on Ubuntu:
1. $ nano –w /etc/hosts
You should have this line
Ip_address server.domain.com server
Update it as per your server information.
2. Press ctrl key + o to save
3. Press ctrl key + x to exit
4. Restart your server to take effect all the changes
To install Zimbra on Ubuntu server:
1. Install Zimbra prerequisites
$ apt-get update
$ apt-get install libgmp10 libperl5.18 libaio1 pax sysstat sqlite3
2. Download Zimbra Email Server
$ wget https://files.zimbra.com/downloads/8.6.0_GA/zcs8.6.0_GA_1153.UBUNTU14_64.20141215151116.tgz
3. Unpack the file
tar xzvf zcs-8.6.0_GA_1153.UBUNTU14_64.20141215151116.tgz
4. Go to Zimbra forder
5. Begin installation
NOTE : While running the install.sh command you will be prompted with the following questions.
Do you agree with the terms of the software license agreements? [N] Y
Install zimbra-ldap [Y] Enter
Install zimbra-logger [Y] Enter
Install zimbra-mta [Y] Enter
Install zimbra-dnscache [Y] N Enter
Install zimbra-snmp [Y] Enter
Install zimbra-store [Y] Enter
Install zimbra-apache [Y] Enter
Install zimbra-spell [Y] Enter
Install zimbra-memcached [Y] Enter
Install zimbra-proxy [Y] Enter
The System will be modified. Continue? [N] Y Enter
NOTE: Do not install dnscache because we already installed bind9.
Sometimes it takes for a while to install some packages.
You will receive this error:
DNS ERROR resolving server.domain.com server
Change hostname [Yes] Enter
Please enter the logical hostname for this host [server.domain.com] domain.com
Ports conflicts detected! – Press Enter /Return key to continue Enter
Setup a password for admin account.