This article covers how to run sh files using the terminal as well as using the command line or terminal. In fact, the .sh file is nothing but the shell script to install given application or to perform other tasks under Linux like operating systems.
How do I run .sh file shell script in Linux?
The procedure to run the .sh file shell script on Linux is as follows:
- Open the Terminal application on Linux or Unix.
- Create a new script file with .sh extension using a text editor.
- Write the script file using nano script-name-here.sh.
- Set execute permission on your script using chmod command : chmod +x script-name-here.sh .
- To run your script : ./script-name-here.sh
- Another option is as follows to execute shell script: $ sh script-name-here.sh OR bash script-name-here.sh .