This article covers how to install the XFCE desktop environment on Rocky Linux 8. In fact, Xfce is a lightweight desktop environment for UNIX-like operating systems designed to run fine on minimal system resources ie (small memory footprint and CPU usage) while being visually appealing and user friendly.
Main features of Xfce:
- Display Manager – Xfce display manager is called LightDM.
- File Manager – called Thunar.
- Favorites bar – A single icon on the left of the panel that displays favorites, recent applications and application menu.
- Panels – A single panel located on the top of the window.
- System Tray – A set of icons on the right side of the panel.
- Windows Manager – The specialized Xfwm, which utilizes its own compositor manager.