TeXworks is the free open-source application for authoring TeX (LaTeX, ConTeXt, etc) documents. With TeXworks, you can generate PDF documents as your formatted output or configure your processing path to use DVI instead. TeXworks also has a built-in PDF viewer that supports source/preview synchronization, making it easy to see your changes in real-time.
The goal of TeXworks is to deliver a similarly integrated, easy-to-use environment for users on other platforms, especially GNU/Linux and Windows.
Here at LinuxAPT, we shall look into how to install TeXworks on Ubuntu 22.10 system.
Few features of TeXworks includes:
- Adds a ruler with draggable guidelines to the PDF previewer
- Improves preservation of Unicode characters during loading/saving
- Prevents concurrent typesetting in multi-file sources
- Disables "Remove Aux Files" during typesetting
- Adds full paths as tool tips in the "Open Recent" menu
- Uses native separators (/ or \) in the recent files menu
- Adds "Fit to Content Width" to the PDF preview zoom context menu and to the scaling preferences
- Improves support for dark themes (changing the syntax highlighting color palette; fixing the color of the current line when changing OS color schemes; fixing the background color of the screen calibration widget for dark themes)
- Improves interoperability with docstrip by adding support for%^^A ! TeX... magic comments
Steps to install TeXworks on Ubuntu 22.10 Kinetic Kudu
1. Perform System Update
To begin, we need to ensure that the system kernel is up to date by executing the below commands:
$ sudo apt update
$ sudo apt upgrade
$ sudo apt install wget apt-transport-https gnupg2 software-properties-common
2. Add TeXworks Repository
By default, TeXworks is not available on Ubuntu 22.10 base repository. In order to add TeXworks PPA repository to your system, simply execute the below command:
$ echo 'deb [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/texworks.gpg] https://ppa.launchpadcontent.net/texworks/stable/ubuntu jammy main' | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/texworks.list
Next, import the GPG key using the below command:
$ sudo gpg --no-default-keyring --keyring /usr/share/keyrings/texworks.gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 3EAF6A811849A711A6D5F781ACBAE083CDF2E7E8
3. Install TeXworks on the system
Since the repository has been added successfully, you can then proceed to install TeXworks on Ubuntu using the below commands:
$ sudo apt update
$ sudo apt install texworks
How to access TeXworks on Ubuntu 22.10 ?
After installation, you can easily access TeXworks by running the below command on your terminal:
Alternatively, you can execute the following path on your desktop to open the path: Activities -> Show Applications -> TeXworks
[Need help in fixing Linux system issues ? We can help you. ]