Virt-Viewer is a tool in Linux that is used to remotely connect to virtual machines through a graphical console. It provides you with the flexibility to adjust the display resolution according to your requirements. It even allows you to share your files and folders from the host computer system to your virtual machines.
Here at LinuxAPT, as part of our Server Management Services, we regularly help our Customers to perform related Virt-Viewer queries.
In this context, we shall look into how we can install the Virt-Viewer on a Linux Mint 20 system.
How to Install Virt-Viewer on Linux Mint 20?
To install Virt-Viewer installed on your Linux Mint 20 system, follow the steps given below.
1. Perform a System Update on Linux Mint 20
t is strongly recommended that before you install Virt-Viewer on your Linux Mint 20 system, its cache should be fully updated. You can ensure this by executing the following terminal command:
$ sudo apt update
After this command attempts to update your system, you can carry on with the installation of Virt-Viewer on it.
2. Install Virt-Viewer on Linux Mint 20
To install Virt-Viewer on your Linux system, you should run the command shown below in the terminal:
$ sudo apt install virt-viewer
This package will be installed on your Linux Mint 20 system within a few seconds.
3. Verify Virt-Viewer Installation on Linux Mint 20
You can also confirm if Virt-Viewer has been successfully installed on your Linux Mint 20 system or not by checking its version with the command shown below:
$ virt-viewer --version
How to Uninstall Virt-Viewer from Linux Mint 20?
You can remove Virt-Viewer from your Linux Mint 20 system with a one-liner command as follows:
$ sudo apt-get purge --autoremove virt-viewer
The above command will remove all the traces of Virt-Viewer from your Linux Mint 20 system.
[Need urgent assistance in fixing Software Packages Installation on Linux Mint System? We can help you. ]
This article covers how to install Virt-Viewer on a Linux Mint 20 system. virt-viewer is a minimal tool for displaying the graphical console of a virtual machine. The console is accessed using the VNC or SPICE protocol. The viewer can connect to remote hosts to lookup the console information and then also connect to the remote console using the same network transport.
Functions of Virt Viewer:
- Connect to KVM virtual machines remotely via the SPICE remote desktop protocol.
- Automatically adjust display resolution of the KVM virtual machines.
- Use multiple monitors for the KVM virtual machines.
- Passthrough USB devices from your computer to the KVM virtual machines.
- Share folders from your computer to the KVM virtual machines.
To install Virt Viewer on Linux:
1. First, update the APT package repository cache with the following command:
$ sudo apt update
2. To install Virt Viewer on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, run the following command:
$ sudo apt install virt-viewer --no-install-recommends --no-install-suggests
Then, confirm the installation, press Y and then press <Enter>.