Wireshark is a very popular network monitoring tool and packet analyzer. With the help of this tool, you can easily visualize the entire network communications. Moreover, you can also use the information provided by this tool for network troubleshooting and avoiding security issues.
In this context, we will look into the installation procedure of Wireshark on Linux Mint 20.
Main features of Wireshark:
- Deep inspection of protocols
- Live capture and analyze offline
- Runs on multi-platform (Windows, Linux, macOS, Solaris, FreeBSD, NetBSD etc.)
- Capture packet can be browsed via a GUI
- Captured packet can be saved to XML, CSV and Plain text.
- Live data can be read from the interfaces like Ethernet , Bluetooth, USB, WiFi, Token Ring, Frame Relay etc.
How to Install Wireshark on Linux Mint 20 ?
To install Wireshark on your Linux Mint 20 machine, follow the steps outlined below.
1. Prepare your System for Wireshark Installation
To prepare your system for Wireshark installation, you will have to update it with the following command:
$ sudo apt update
2. Install Wireshark through the "apt" Package Manager
Once your system is well prepared, you can install Wireshark on it by executing the command mentioned below:
$ sudo apt install wireshark
During the installation of Wireshark, a prompt will be presented on your system's terminal from which you will have to select the "No" option and proceed further by pressing the Enter button.
3. Verify Wireshark Installation by Checking its Version
You can verify this whole installation process i.e. whether it has been carried out successfully or not by checking the Wireshark version with the following command:
$ apt policy wireshark
How to Uninstall Wireshark from Linux Mint 20 ?
If you want to remove Wireshark from your system, then you can do that by executing the following command:
$ sudo apt-get purge --autoremove wireshark