OCR stands for Optical Character Recognition. It basically plays a very vital role whenever you need to extract some form of textual data from images. As a Linux user, you need a good OCR software like EasyOCR that can process your images without damaging their quality and extract all the possible useful textual data from them.
In this context, we shall look into install EasyOCR on Linux Mint 20.
Main Features of EasyOCR:
- EasyOCR can detect text in over 80 languages and scripts.
- It includes pre-trained models for these languages but you can use EasyOCR to train your own models from scratch.
- Besides digital and printed text based content found in images, EasyOCR can also detect and extract handwritten text.
- Ability to batch process multiple images at once, ability to limit and block certain characters from a language.
- An option to convert extracted lines into paragraphs.
- Ability to resize and magnify images to improve detection accuracy.
Steps to install EasyOCR on Linux Mint 20
1. Perform System Update
First, you need to update the package index by running the command that follows:
$ sudo apt-get update
2. Install PIP3 on your System
After updating your system’s package index, you need to install the package installer for Python i.e. pip3 on your system. For that, you need to run the below command:
$ sudo apt install python3-pip
3. Install EasyOCR on your System
Once pip3 is successfully installed on your Linux Mint 20 system, you can easily install EasyOCR on it by using this package manager with the help of the following command:
$ pip3 install easyocr
How to Uninstall EasyOCR Removal from Linux Mint 20 ?
1. Remove EasyOCR from your System:
First, you need to remove the EasyOCR package from your system by executing the following command:
$ pip3 uninstall easyocr
2. Remove PIP3 from your System (Optional):
Moreover, you can also remove pip3 from your system if you want by running the command stated below:
$ sudo apt-get purge --autoremove python3-pip
[Need help in fixing Linux system Software installation issues ? We can help you. ]
This article covers the process of installing EasyOCR on Linux Mint 20. In fact, EasyOCR command line tool is an open source application which can be used to identify and extract text from images. It uses Optical Character Recognition (OCR) technology and a variety of different algorithms and language models to detect the text.